Mnemonics and Summary for Lidocaine (local anesthetic)
Mnemonic (In General) for LIDOCAINE :
Mnemonic for toxicity of LIDOCAINE :
- Rapid acting local anesthetic for procedures ranging from infiltration to regional nerve block
- Antiarrhythmic in the treatment of vent. arrhythmias
- Treatment of status epilepticus (INVESTIGATIONAL)
- Treatment of pain >>Operative >>Neuropathic pain
> common route of administration >> IV ,, Topical ,, Dermal patch ,, Nasal spray.
Action on CNS & CVS:
Alters depolarization in neurons by blocking the fast voltage gated sodium (Na+)channels in the cell membrane.
**Absorption>>Absorbed rapidly after parenteral administration & from GIT & Respiratory Tract
**Metabolism>> Metabolized in the liver
**Excretion>>Metabolites and unchanged drug are excreted by the kidneys in the urine
Toxicity & Overdose:
- Altered central nervous system
- Muscle twitching
- Slurred speech
Thanks for reading! Good luck to all the poor souls who are already getting ready to go back to school!
Follow us to receive lastest posts directly in your inbox! Just enter your email address in the box on the top of the menu on the right and click “subscribe”.